┃CHINESE FESTIVALS AND EVENTS
Dragon Boat Festival 2021
Dragon Boat Festival, also known as Duanwu Festival, is a traditional and important celebration in China.
In 2021, Dragon Boat Festival falls on June 14 (Monday). China will have 3 days of public holiday from Saturday (June 12) to Monday (June 14), and we will be back at work on Tuesday, June 15.
Facts to Understand Dragon Boat Festival
· Chinese name: 端午节 Duānwǔ Jié /dwann-woo jyeah/ ‘start [of the] fifth traditional solar month festival’
· Date: month 5 day 5 of the Chinese lunar calendar
· History: over 2,000 years
· Celebrations: dragon boat racing, health-related customs, honoring Qu Yuan and others
· Popular festival food: sticky rice dumplings (zongzi)
Why Dragon Boat Racing is Held for the Day?
Dragon boat racing is said to originate from the legend of people paddling out on boats to seek the body of patriotic poet Qu Yuan (343–278 BC), who drowned himself in a River.
Dragon boat racing is the most important activity during the Dragon Boat Festival.